
Witnessed my first screaming match between a doctor and nurse on one of my last shifts. The doc called a non-emergent c-section while another woman was beginning to push. Doc wanted the woman to stop pushing until the section was done. Nurse said No--and things escalated from there. 15 mins of fighting that we could all here--some done in front of the patient.
I have never gotten into a yelling match w/ a doc. What in the world? Is this the private world of L&D? I'm starting to think so...from what I've heard, its just a matter of time until I "get into it" with a doc on our floor. Um. Not sure if I am up for that.
Otherwise, things are ho-hum at my job. I miss high risk. I miss my residents. I miss my "team" of nurses. We recover supposed high risk patients and move them to ICU. Other than that, it is c-section land. 1/4th of the deliveries I have done have been vaginal. Crazy!
But, my patients have been great. A little needy--as in you-are-my-waitress-now-get-me-xyz--but great nonetheless.
10.04.2009
yelling docs
Posted by Prisca: at 4:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad that nurse stood up for her patient, just as she should!
Yelling matches are never good and no one really wins. However, I have had SEVERAL heated conversations. We, as nurses are also advicates for our patients. When the docs are hateful and arogant, I will not hesitate to speak to them about it. Especially if it effects the patient. I might even write a post on this topic.
oh my goodness...in 18 years of L&D I have never seen that~! Wow.
Glad you are enjoying your patients.
Post a Comment