1.03.2008

The OR


Just thought I would share another story from my mom--who basically only has horror stories from her nursing career.

She reminded me again of why she got out of being a surgical nurse. On one of the cases she scrubbed in on--which was an emergency case that was going to take a while to resolve--the surgeon got a bad case of the runs...

So bad in fact that he wasnt able to get to the bathroom...

So my mom put chux pads on the floor and the surgeon proceeded to poo himself...

My mom had to clean up after him--she got his pants off, got new pants on him and threw everything away and he kept right on operating!!! Without a "thank you" or even a comment from this doc. He acted like it was an every day occurence to crap yourself at work.

She was basically over it after that...she moved on to being a nursery nurse and loved it.

Ok, in other news, got my 2 hrs of NCLEX study in today--going to do some more tonight. Also have my childcare figured out-went up to the kids school and got them set up for the before and after school program for my orientation--just in case I have to orient days or whatever. That is all set--it really isn't too expensive and I think the kiddos will have fun. I will only have to do it a couple days a week and I am thankful it is available! What do you gusy do w/ your kids when you work/go to school? I am very blessed in that I have never had to put my kids in daycare and my family has helped out quite a bit with the childcare. Anyway...

Guess I am going to do laundry and SCRAPBOOK for the rest of the day. Have a good one...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord what a story - I can't imagine.

Crystal said...

Yikes! It's horrible enough having to clean someone who has no clue ~ but a surgeon! SERIOUSLY, that's crazy!

Good for you for doing your NCLEX studying! I so can't motivate myself to do my time. I just want to relax a little bit, ya know! I'm going to get back to the grindstone tomorrow! I promise!

hoosier nurse said...

Holy cow!! That's pretty much up there with the grossest things I've ever heard. I mean, I guess patient safety was the priority there, but to not even say thank you seems a little ungracious. I don't think my NCLEX studying did a damn thing to help me. Prioritize, prioritize, and prioritize. Know which patient to pick first.