1.06.2007

Yeah, well that won't happen to me...



Let's take an aside here from nursing school and delve into the land of fraud. Yes, fraud.

You know those commercials about identity theft that are so funny and cute--the one's that make you laugh off the possibility a bit and feel sad for the poor suckers that have this happen to? Or how about the times you grudgingly hand over your ID card when using a check, credit card etc? Isn't that a pain?

WELL, I guess I am a poor sucker. I woke up this morning to my bank account looking like this:

01//08/07 Deposit $500.00
(pending) $8,709.44
01/08/07 Deposit $800.00
(pending) $8,209.44
01/08/07 Deposit $800.00
(pending) $7,409.44
01/08/07 Deposit $625.00
(pending) $6,609.44
(pending) $5,984.44
01/08/07 Deposit $1,640.00
(pending) $5,996.13
01/08/07 Deposit $1,000.00
(pending) $4,356.13

Yesterday evening and this morning, someone who has stolen my checking account number and name, has been depositing thousands of dollars into my account (using checks from someone else's account?) and trying to get money back each time. This person thankfully doesn't have any ID, which means he hasn't been able to take any money out...but he has gone from branch to branch looking for that ONE teller who doesn't follow the rules and will cash his check.

So, our account is frozen and DH has to go in on Monday and fill out all kinds of forms as the bank tries to get this guy. We don't have access to any of our money right now which kind of stinks, but what really stinks is the "Why and how" of the whole thing? Where did this guy get my name, my bank account number? And does he have any of my other important information?

DH checks our bank account almost daily. Thank goodness for that. It has helped that he caught this immediately. Who knows what would happen otherwise.

I wonder where these checks came from--whose account? It could be yours, huh?

Check your bank account today, k? LOL!

6 comments:

Mandy said...

I am so sorry you are having some fraud problems!! I've been there. When I had my first job out of college (the first time around LOL), my credit union sent my debit card to someone else. And they were happy to use it. Drained me dry! I quickly closed my account there once it was resolved.

Hope you get it all resolved. Keep us posted.

Prisca: said...

here is a comment form mandy i think i accidentally erased:

"Your comments made me laugh! The hat took three days of on and off knitting. It actually goes quick. If you have circular needles, you don't need to know how to purl. To make stockinette stitch on circulars, all you have to do is knit!! :) If you need help, I learned almost everything from knittinghelp.com Thanks again for the comments, and the laugh! "

Thanks Mandy! I will have to check taht site out and figure out how to do some stuff.

Nursapalooza said...

about the theft, dang, how DO they get account numbers??! Do you think they work somewhere where you used a check and copied down the numbers??? How maddening! So sorry for the crap!

and about knitting....i've been online trying to relearn how to crochet since all i knit are scarves! I'll hit that site too.

hoosier nurse said...

You'll get no knitting talk from me since I don't know knit one from Perl two, but, the bank thing sucks BAD, and I loved your road to nursing tale. I WISH I'd had a 1.9gpa when I started, but thankfully, my program doesn't hold it against me. They only care about your prereq grades and entrance test. I started this journey in Texas, and the community college (which is much more competative than the universities) told me to find another career. Nice.

Too Fat 4 Ponies said...

I hate that for you. My story isn't as bad but I'll share anyway.

Three months ago I found someone in Canada had purchased a motorcycle on my credit card. Fortunately it was a case of the perp randomly trying card numbers until he got one to work so I was lucky there. The credit card company took care of it. THANK GOD!

I know one thing you may want to consider is if you are receiving canceled checks back from your bank (you know... with your statement) in the mail. All someone has to do is steal your mail.

Also.. make sure your anti-Virus software and anti-Spyware software is all up to date and has been run recently. I recommend Norton Internet Security and Ad-Aware SE.

Too Fat, SN <--- former IT worker

Marisapan said...

I am so sorry for your situation. I feel your pain, having just been screwed the same way last month. I had to write down all my new passwords and crap like that on a post-it note until I could memorize them. Then I was nervous about where to keep the post-it until said passwords could sink into my brain. So I hid it in an egg cup in the back of a hard to access kitchen cupboard. Ugh! Hope it passes soon. And that you find the rat who stole your mail!