1.18.2007

Suffer through it...

Had pediatric orientation yesterday. Went in thinking to myself that I would NOT get overwhelmed. It KIND OF worked--everything IS overwhelmng, but I am getting a handle on it early on. I know what I am in for, I guess. The paperwork is just. going. to. stink.

Overall, this semester is going to kick my butt. AND I have an annoying classmate who is taking up brain-room in my head. This person managed to turn up to orientation at 1130 when we needed to be there at 0900. Bragged about how they didn't think they were going to "get in trouble." Was rude all day to everyone. I was hoping when they weren't there that possibly they had dropped--couldn't imagine anyone missing that much of orientation. Thankfully, I don't have them in clinical and can steer clear--but they still annoy me. Need to get over it, right??? I wouldn't wish failing nursing school on anyone...but I'm not sure this person will make a good nurse. Clinically, they seem ok--just very cocky, which can be dangerous?? Constantly talking about how "nursing school is a piece of cake and if I applied myself I would get straight A's." Who says that?? ANYWAYYY!!!

As for the work load in Peds, it is enormous and very frightening. I will be breathing Peds for the next 5 weeks in clinical and honestly can say I am very scared (what a weenie, eh). I'm on a cardiac floor for my rotation with an observation day in oncology. Yeah.

Ok, off for another fun day--this time med/surg orientation with my clinical group--all of who are good peeps.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

I so hear you about cocky classmates. It is so frustrating. Hopefully this student will get some sort of repercussions for missing so much of orientation. But, you are right, you (and me with my issues) have to let it go. We will make it through Peds! It will be ok!! Hang in there! Sounds like the cardiac floor will be AWESOME!!

Mandy said...

I started on the floor this week. I am doing both pediatrics and oncology - I will just switch from wings as needed. I started out with pediatrics. Hang in there -- it'll all be worth it one day!

Wendy, R.N. said...

Good luck. Peds and OB were my favorite rotations. But that was just because of all the little cuties and baby burritos.

W. :)