Plopped down in my weird, springy chair in class this morning and noticed that lots of new people had migrated down towards the front of class. New faces everywhere. Most of them anxious?
Ahhh, yes, the influx of LPN's has occurred and with them a new batch of blank stares and strange questions that are reminiscent of the first semester freak-outs the rest of us had a couple semesters ago. I tried not to get irritated as everything we have known for over a year was re-explained.(But why didn't they explain stuff in LPN transitions class?) If I had to hear one more question about the stupid clicker, I would have snorted diet coke through my nose whilst trying to stay upright in my springy seat. (I drink a lot of DC, BTW. It is kind of a family joke. My liver is def. laughing.)
After all that was cleared up, we proceeded to trudge through the scary syllabus and endure the numerous threats of failure that always comes with that lecture.
"You will fail lecture automatically if you fail clinical."
"You will fail clinical automatically if you fail lecture."
"You will fail lecture and clinical automatically if you fail next weeks drug calc test."
You guys out there in nursing school know the drill, right?
Took a break, went and got another diet coke, and then listened to an hour of metrology explanations that made no sense, as usual. Tried to tune it out as I have figured the math out "my way" and just want to get the test over with.
We were theatened a bit more at the end about missing class, clinical, assignments, and paperwork and I left feeling actually quite good. Like a woman who has been racked all day and night, I must be getting used to the torture? Maybe I am numb? (Or just plain stupid for comparing nursing school to being racked.)
Let's just say I am very happy about a few things and leave it:
1.)I am not freaking too badly.
2.)I am fitting in nicely with my new clinical groups.
3.)The instructors are organized--it seems! How different from the instructor-from-hell situation I had last sem.
4.)I am actually more interested in my classes than I thought I would be? Suddenly Peds sounds kind of neat. Um, except for oncology.
Hope you guys are doing ok out there and having a good start to the semester!
1.22.2007
Classes Begin
Posted by Prisca: at 6:39 PM
Labels: Classmates, Nursing School (general), Peds
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What is up with those med tests? And why do they have to scare us all the time with threats and scenarios of doom? I didn't know ALL nursing schools did that. I feel a lot happier knowing we're all going through the same drill. I too am already starting to get numb to it: "Of COURSE I could get kicked out of school at any time. Of COURSE I have to pull off an impossible feat with no warning on the first try...!" :)
I just want to say that I love your blog and read it daily! I start an accelerated 15 month nursing program in May and am very nervous, but your blog helps alleviate some of that. Keep up the great posts!
~ Margaret
Hi Margaret! You will do great in your program--just stay on your toes, right? Thanks for reading--it's great to know there are people out there going through the same stuff. Best wishes to you!
Post a Comment