Someone commented on my last post that in all their years of nursing, no one has asked about their nursing school grades.
Yes, I realize that...I have heard the whole C=RN thing a million times. I am not saying that I think students need to get straight A's in school. I just know FOR ME, I would like to get the BEST grade I can...be it A, B or C.
One reason I want to keep high grades is that I would *possibly* like to go on in school. I used to have a really crappy attitude about school. When I started pre-reqs for nursing I had a 1.9 GPA!!! At one point in my college academic career, I had to sit out a semester due to academic probation. Yeah, so I have been a slacker and know what it feels like--honestly, it felt like crap.
My GPA is now a cumulative 3.1 and in nursing a 3.44. I have worked REALLY hard to get myself back up into competitive standing so IF I desire to go get my masters in midwifery or some other specialty, I will have at least the 3.0 I need to get into school.
And there are other reasons people want A's in my class--like the girl who needs 100% tuition reimbursemnet as a single mom to three girls. Or a friend of mine who plans to go on to med school after nursing--yeah, it matters to them. And someone WILL ask them about their grades.
And what about the student nurse tech job I just applied for that wanted me to state my GPA as critia for hire? Or the stipends and scholarships I have looked into that have all asked about my GPA??? GPA DOES MATTER!!
The thing is, if you guys out there are ok with C's, then go for it! I know some C nursing students that are fabulous in clinical and I would have as my nurse any day--and I know some C students who go drinking before classes and would rather party than study.
In many cases grades DO reflect how hard you have worked. I work hard; I want my grades to reflect my hard work. Period.
BTW, got a 90 on my OB test! Hard work pays off again. :)
11.16.2006
Grades
Posted by Prisca: at 12:17 PM
Labels: Grade rambling
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm right there with you. I have busted my butt to maintain my 3.6. I want to continue on and get my MSN as well, and I know I am going to need something to impress the schools with.
Good for you for working so hard. I know many students who struggle for every C they get, and sometimes that is the best that can be achieved for that person.
This is tough stuff, and there is a crapload of information to digest. Good for you for doing so well.
W. :)
I agree 100%. I've got a 3.5 and need it. My scholarships require I maintain a certain GPA, so no, I don't think you're grade obsessive. On the contrary, I think you're obsessive about being a good nurse.
Post a Comment