10.23.2006

Group Project Irritation

I hate group projects. Part of the problem is that the group I am in is not something I chose. It is my clinical group--people I am normally fine with, but people who are all very different personalities who study differently, get grades all across the board, etc.

We have this project as a clinical group that is worth a test grade, and because I want an A, I put myself out there as the group leader (ie the person who will do 75% of the work in a group of 6 people).

We had 8 topics to split up--so me and a fellow OA (over achiever) volunteered to take two topics instead of one. Then, because I am crafty, I volunteered to get the poster board figured out. I bought all the supplies and have them all here. Now, I WANT to do the poster--I don't trust anyone else to put it together. But I would like some help. A couple people are making a food item, two other people are putting the powerpoint of everyones notes together (which is the other big part that may end up being something I have to help with)and so there is one person left that I thought I could get to help with the poster.

This person stated to me a few weeks ago that she didn't like me when she first met me but is now "fine" with me. Who says that? Who says that when not asked? We were waiting for clinical review outside the instructors office and she tells me this? So, I already am kind of wary of her. The other wierd thing is that she sits next to me in a lecture and basically COMPLETELY ignores me? Normally when you sit down next to someone you know you say, "hi--good morning--blablabla." Nope. She makes a point of turning her chair away from me? It is strange. So despite her saying she now likes me (and I am soooo honored by that) she acts like a jerk.

Yeah, and we are in our 30's here and supposedly mature...

The thing is that in clinical we were fine, I spent like two hours on the phone one night helping her write a concept map...so I am thinking it isn't me. She has something up her butt.

Last Wens I tried to talk to her before class--nada. So I wrote her a note (like I am in kindergarten) asking if she wanted to come to my house, eat lunch and work on the poster. She wrote "yes." I wrote back all this info, she nodded, folded the note up and that was it. As she got up from lecture, I yelled to her in passing to "call me." She barely acknowledged this and ran off...

Would YOU have a complex over this? I emailed her not to come yesterday. Told her I finished everything. I just don't want her over here--used busy schedules and the fact that she lives an hour away as an excuse. Probably stupid of me and should have just worked with her on it...what do you guys think? Am I a jerk or what? I just couldn't imagine her here, being rude, in my home...Plus she stated she hates being crafty, so the whole thing just sounded horrid.

If I was good in a team I would have sucked it up and had her over. Does this all mean that I suck at working well with others? My self-esteem is taking a beating--I want to be kind and gracious, but I think I have just been a weanie. (Poem-like, huh?)

Why do I even care? BLECH.

What is really frightening is that IF I screw up my part of things and we get an F then it all sits squarely on my shoulders.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate group projects too. I always end up doing everything while everyone else just twiddles their thumbs. I'd rather do the work and get an A then rely on someone else.

That girl sounds like a jerk! I wouldn't have let her come to my house either.