1.14.2008

Signed On!


(above: what are they staring at? i suspect they have spotted a fellow nurse wearing her whites and are giggling at how dingy she looks...)

I went and had my physical today--which consisted of the respirator fitting (absolutely hysterical every time) and a brief head-to-toe type thing. Still have to do a drug screen tomorrow and finish up my TB and Flu vaccination stuff...

Signed all my paperwork and will get my sign-on bonus (wasnt sure I would get one or not) for $1000 in my 1st paycheck. Start at 20.50/hr and we didnt discuss shift diff or anything? Hm. So, I am official. Saw a classmate of mine and who starts in the ER and he said he is scared out of his mind. Me too, buddy.

Oh yeah, my hospital also pays 200 bucks towards NCLEX review if I provide receipts so I went out and purchased this book (yes, another NCLEX book):



Have heard good things about Hurst and needed something to liven up my study--there are some MP3's included that sound like fun. Am working on that today and trying to answer questions by system. For some reason I am pissed at Kaplan--they just seem like scam artists. Crazy me. I dont know, people. All I know is that the NCLEX sucks, ok?

(I'm a little testy-trying to diet and just want to eat cake, cake, cake. It's the stress.)

ANYWAY. At work I get my choice of navy blue scrubs or a white uniform at work (well, I get to wear OR scrubs in L&D, too). But seriously, who would wear whites? They get sooooo stinking dirty. Someone in the elevator today had her whites on and just looked rumpled and yucky. Love the blue, so gonna stick with that for now.

Just got a call from the school and my kiddo needs speech therapy. Poor child can't say "R." Still, I'm sick and think its cute.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Woo hoo!! This is really happening! Thursday is coming too fast for me. Can it just be Friday? I'm done buying NCLEX stuff, I have to be. After all, tomorrow's my last study day! YIKES!!

jenny said...

How exciting! Good luck to you.
I am just starting nursing school, so I've had fun going back through your blog, reading about your experiences. Must admit, it was a bit overwhelming...but I'm still a newbie...EVERYTHING is overwhelming at this point.

Just wanted to drop a hello...let you know I was reading.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm a Canadian nursing student who just found your blog and am really enjoying perusing it.
I just thought I'd let you know that I couldn't say my R's as a child either, my mom tells me it sounded like I had some sort of accent. And even though my school recommended speech therapy my dad decided to teach me himself by playing a game where I'd have to repeat sentences filled with as many r's as possible. And it worked! You'd never know that I had a speech impediment as a child :) So good luck to your kid! I'm positive it will work, and hopefully be fun :)

Anonymous said...

LOL - I find the "offer" of wearing a "White Uniform" by choice completely hilarious and ridiculous. in fact, my classmates and I have scheduled a WHITE SCRUB BURNING PARTY after everyone has passed their NCLEX!!! I CANNOT wait!!! I will NEVER wear white scrubs again (except a lab coat maybe) Glad to know we aren't the only nursing students/nurses to feel that way!