9.16.2007

This week

Lots going on around here. Todays is one of my kiddo's birthday-10 yrs old! Man, they get big FAST! Just finshed making a yummy double chocolate cake all while studying COPD, SCI, and AMI. Its hard to cook and study at the same time...

So comps are my main focus today and have my 1st lecture exam tomorrow. Got 100% on the 1st two quizzes I've had. So, here's the plan for the week:

Mon: exam, lecture, job interview, study
Tues: study comps ALL DAY
Wens: community clinical @ a homeless shelter
Thurs: lecture, study comps
Fri: study all day
Sat: study all day

My clinical competency is next monday! Not freaking too bad. Man, after the next two weeks I will be in my last clinical rotation! 5 weeks of that and I am in the home stretch. It is going so quickly.

Had my picture taken last week with my cap and pin on. That was so surreal and fun.

My job is going pretty well, although I really suck at phlebotomy and I dont like the EMT's much. They are kinda rude. And they made fun of me yesterday for being a newbie...and for blushing when they made fun of me. I felt like I was 12 yrs old and realized I really need to get a thicker skin. Basically I put the cardiac monitor leads backwards on my patient (can you say brain fart? i had been doing it right all day) and the 4 guys in the room decided to rib me (2 EMT's, a male nurse, and an EMT trainee). Too much testosterone, I guess. I hate that I turn bright red when I get flustered. Geez.

Oh, fun mnemonic for placing leads:
white=right
Smoke over fire
Clouds over grass


It all comes down to the fact that I know NOTHING. And I hate that feeling. And I hate screwing up. I KNOW YOU LEARN THAT WAY. But it sucks. BUT I did get some nice complements from a couple ER nurses--they told me I am going to be a great nurse. That means a lot coming from them. I have them fooled.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: leads mnemonic a nurse taught me the same thing last semester, I cannot forget it..

hope all is well with you!