9.09.2007

and...she's UP!

I'm up, I'm groggy, but it's all good...

Night people:
Ever noticed how after working nights you start to sound like a west coast surfer? Everything is "cool, "all good," and you're "chill, bra." I felt like, at about 3AM this morninng, I couldnt think very quickly anymore, and I used all my mental capacity for taking care of whatever walked through the door--all my verbal responses slowed way down as things got REALLY informal in the wee hours of the morning. Even the doctor started getting silly around 4AM. He was working a 24 and hadnt slept at all in the doc's lounge.

At 6:30AM we had a little old lady roll in who needed to be cardio-converted and behind her, a perforated appendicitis wheeled in, howling in pain, and all the sudden I forgot how to put on a nasal cannula. I even put the lady's BP cuff on upside down? How embarassing. Luckily, all the fresh people came in and relieved us. We were really busy last night. Only had one code/death.

Had another guy who was drunk as a skunk come in by EMS (.30 ETOH)--he stood up and passed out, so EMS did CPR on him and brought him in? He was perfectly fine, just DRUNK. You could tell the EMS guys thought they had a save and then were really embarassed when the doc told them the real deal. Still cant figure out why the did CPR when he was breathing, had a pulse, etc? No hx of cardiac probs, no chest pain, no nothing.

Trying to wake up so I can have a somewhat normal day and sleep tonight. All in all, like the job a lot and learned tons.

0 comments: