Happy New Year! I'll be a nurse this year!! (God willing!)
Had a bunch of nightmares last night about school. Ya know, the ones where you show up to class or clinical without any work done. Or didn't study for a test...oh and in mine there was a final I missed AFTER the semester was over?!?
All sparked, I guess, by an email from a cohort who claims she finished the metrology (drug calc) packet and is brushing up on fundamentals. Here I haven't done anything, and I need to start reading, doing that packet, oh, and I wanted to read over my fundamentals notes again because it's been so long since I have done AM care, transferred patients, etc. I haven't changed a bed in a million years it seems. I woke up and realized I have 2 weeks from Wens until school starts again and I need to get my butt in gear.
The problem is that I have this scrapbook I wanted to finish over the break. But if I get involved in that it WILL take me the whole two weeks to get it finished. I guess I could work on it just a little bit...but now I feel so distracted by school thoughts that I can't relax.
Honestly, I am scared poop-less about this semester. We are out of hand-holding land and into actually "playing" nurse. We were told that we WOULD NOT be functioning as techs--taking vitals and giving bedpans. Yeah, those things we will help with, but we will be doing the "serious" stuff--meds, dressings, IV's, charting, caths, interacting w/ the docs (oh boy), all nursing interventions, etc. I start out in Peds on a med surg floor and I have to know how to give a kid their meds safely. And I need to know exactly WHERE to give IM meds (like I can't just make a triangle from the acromion process and then down on the deltoid and stick them, I have to be able to verbalize what I am aiming for--and I need to look at that again).
It all comes down to the fact that I don't know what I am doing. Yeah. Sucks. On that note, time to pull out the books and go for it.
Oh yeah, and today is day 3 back on Weight Watchers and I haven't lost 50 lbs yet. Geez.
PS: I posted a chatbox in my toolbar -------->>>> for anyone who wants to talk to each other about nursing stuff or post questions or whatever. Groovey, eh?
1.01.2007
The Plan
Posted by Prisca: at 9:05 AM
Labels: Anxiety (again)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I, too, have not done my packet work for my Adult Health II class. My husband was home from a 5-weeks-away project, my ignored children needed me, I got a stomach flu, my house was a wreck and needed an enema, I shopped and cooked for buttloads of people, and I was simply overwhelmed from my last semester to start it up on "my break."
I have some days blocked out next week after my husband is gone (for 3 weeks this time) and my kids are back in school. Then it's time to tackle the calculations and do the readings and review pathophysiological conditions and whatnot.
I'll be ramping back up right along with you. This year will be exciting if we can just get through this heavy semester!
Post a Comment