1.26.2007

Peds Clinical Week One


Well, I think I may actually like Pediatrics. Had a good day on the unit--even though I still have NO IDEA what I am doing. Was able to jump right in with my patient and do a tube feeding, strip a Blake tube, perform some ADL's, assessment, stuff like that. We didn't give meds yet because our drug calc test isn't until Tues, so we aren't "safe."

I definitely need to keep my pockets more organized! Ha.

The paperwork is really, really hard. And extremely time consumming. I know it teaches critical thinking, but I wish they wouldn't cram everything into a two day period like that. It would be great if we could start all our paperwork but be able to revise and turn it in later? Anyway, that is the worst part of nursing school. Honestly, I learn A LOT from doing it, but it is probably the hardest thing I have ever done.

Lots of really, really sick kiddos with NO parents or visitors WHATSOEVER. It is so sad. These little guys just want love and attention--and they get TONS of it at the hospital I am at, which is great. I have a whole new apprciation and love for Peds nurses. WOW! Maybe if OB doesn't work out I will migrate into Peds or Peds Nursery or something...I like the babies, especially. Teenagers not-so-much.

Ok, not much more to say as this was an introductory week. Lots to learn and do. And my CI is FAB--she is so real and funny. Cracks me up!

Reading and drug calc studying this weekend. Feeling pretty good and was able to use my metrology in clinicals yesterday without problems. Need to practice though--don't want to rest on my laurels.

Nap time today. YES!!!

2 comments:

Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

Allegedly, we have less paperwork for Clinicals this semester than last. I have Adult Health II on Mondays and OB Tuesday (will flip from OB to Peds after Spring Break.)

Still, the assignments I am staring at right now seem like a lot. I know that overwhelmed and undermotivated feeling.

How fun that Peds is more enjoyable than you predicted. I can't wait to read about your adventures.

hoosier nurse said...

I'm so glad you're having fun. I guess paperwork is our burden forever. Now we have to do 25 NCLEX questions every week on top of care plans, and drug stuff, and journals and getting our oral presentations ready, and taking the ATI test. This too shall pass. I can't wait for PEDs! Keep us up to date on how it's going.