My first day in labor and delivery triage went well. I started a cath at 6:45 AM this morning--what a way to start the day. The patient had multiple labial skin tags so finding the meatus was tough. My instructor stuck her hand INTO my sterile field at one point to hold the labia majora up and back and I was like "huh?" Later she said, "Lucky the patient is on prophylactic cefazolin in view of our bad technique." Then she laughed?
My instructor is kind of old school about her "techniques." I have encountered a few of these nurses who have been at it 30-40 yrs who don't wear gloves like we newbies have been taught, put caths in when the field/equipment is contaminated, etc. Is this "real world nursing" or just the way they were taught "back then?" I don't know? It is interesting to be taught one way of doing things, then shown something completely different. "Do as I say, not as I do."
Anyway, hit a valve starting an IV on one patient with small viens (dehydrated, too), then managed to start a nice IV and draw blood for the rest of the day w/out a hitch. Got my midterm clinical eval and it was GOOD! SHEW!
Saw patients from a middle aged Somalian-Muslim who is 43 weeks post due and waiting for Allah to intervene (the docs were trying to talk her into an induction cuz her strip looked bad, but was a no-go when I left--for spiritual reasons--and there is nothing anyone can do about her just "waiting for baby to show up"--even with a bad strip, low fluid, etc.--this just seems so wrong to me!!! the docs said they have had to sit back and watch a baby die in previous situations--no ethical committe can touch religeous freedom, so the hospital's hands are tied???) to the typical 17 year old preggo who remained joking and jovial with her friends as we poked her and got her prepped for a repeat c-section!
Man, OB is sooo interesting. I love it. Wish it didn't scare the crap out of me each and every clinical day!!!
9.18.2006
Triage
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment