8.17.2006

It's so quiet...

Another hot day has hit around here and I am wondering when fall will really come around with its burnt leaf smell and cozy nights wrapped in sweaters.

Today is a wierd day for me...my children are both gone to school and I am alone with my dog (a first for us in many years--both she and I have gotten lots older and grayer).

Tuesday will be here soon, with nursing school in tow, and until then I have some time to think about who I am on the other side of being a SAHM (stay at home mom). It is almost like a reverse-retirement for me. Instead of tossing out the business suits and moving to Florida to bask in the sun, I get to put away my baggy sweatpants and ponytail holders for the weekends and work on learning my vocation.

Things are really different without any of my boys around. My house will be cleaner during the day--there will be one dish in the sink at lunch instead of three. That is a sad thought somehow.

Stepping forward into my next phase as a student and then as a working woman involves a type of culture shock that needs some processing. Many of my hours will be divided amound people I don't know as well or care as much about--I am glad my kids have had all of me for such a long time. It has been the best thing I have done so far, and the best gift I have given to anyone, ever.

It's good to look back and see things for what they really were--instead of thinking about all the moments I wished for freedom or all the times I wanted to keep my kids from growing older. Instead it just seems like one long story, contained within a chapter, that I can look back on and read through in my mind. I can always pick up the story and reread it...it will always be a part of me. I am really thankful for everything that has happened so far.

On to studying and cleaning and doing all the stuff necessary for me to start off on the right foot next week.

2 comments:

Intelinurse said...

We truly have so much in common. I picked up my supplementals today and re-organized my office for studying instead of scrapbooking.

Our first weeks reading assignments have been posted, so I have to get started. I promised the kids the weekend is theirs though, before I fall headlong into nursing texts again.

Hey! You have been tagged! Read my most recent post for the questions, and post (on your site) your answers!

Unemployed Nurse Jack said...

I'm doing the same thing you are. My kids started back last week, I start back on the 30th. I'm trying to patch up the damage known as their closets so they'll be organized and they can be more self-sufficient as my next semester gets hairy.

I miss them, but I also relish the quiet. I want it all.

Good luck to you this semester!