8.15.2006

Booted


I have a picture sitting in front of me of 4 students and a clinical instructor. I am in the picture as a student. So, how many students in my picture do you think actually made it through the entire nursing program? Keep reading to find out...

Recently on the allnurses.com board, a bunch of posts popped up about why people get kicked out of nursing school. Here is the deal--there is no guarantee any student will make it through the program. Yeah, getting A's in lecture helps--but it doesn't get you anywhere w/out passing the clinical component--you fail clinical, you fail lecture. You fail lecture, you fail clinical, capiche?

In my school, you can get booted out for the following reasons:
-Failing a drug calculation test
-Missing clinical
-Getting less than a 75% (no rounding) in lecture
-Getting a "U" in clinical (any variety of reasons for this from going to clinical unprepared to unsafe practice--the unsafe practice thing usually means you can't come back and try the semester over--depending on what you did)
-Missing lecture
-Missing a skills checkoff (You get two chances on this. Ex: taking a blood pressure [and you take a fellow student's with the instructor listening]: if you mess up the first time, you get to try again. Can't do it? You're out!)

There is some grace in some of these areas. The point is--if you can't make it in the program, THEY know and will get rid of you somehow.

A little story: Molly (her name changed) was a 1st semester nursing student. The night before her 1st clinical, Molly needed to pick up her patient assignment and complete a packet of paperwork to bring with her the following morning to clinical. This paperwork normally takes many hrs to complete, so Molly needed to stay up VERY late that night. The following morning, Molly went to clinical. Once there, her instructor told her and the other students to go ahead to their patient's rooms and start working--the instructor would be around to check paperwork, etc.

So, the instructor got to Molly's patient's room right at lunch time--only to find the patient still in bed, in her nightgown, without having had any of her ADL's(activities of daily living). The nursing aids normally assigned to this patient had assumed Molly would be doing her job as a student, so they had left her to it. Bewildered, the instructor started looking for Molly, but could not find her on the floor, the bathroom, the break room, etc.

The instructor went back to the patients room and began getting the patient up, etc. Walking to the closet to get the patient's clothing, she opened it, only to find Molly sitting in the closet and using a penlight to complete the paperwork due hours before. Molly was promptly booted from the nursing program, and banned from this particular program forever...

Yes, a true story. Now, as to the picture...Of the four students, two made it all the way. One of those two failed the NCLEX and has yet to pass. One (me) moved away after 1st semester and is back to finish. One other student was failed two weeks before graduation in clinical. No, she was not Molly from the above story...This student had her own unpleasant story-- and I'll save it for later.

So, tally it up--1 out of 4 students made it all the way and is an RN, today. 25%. Hm.

5 comments:

SVN, prn said...

Cute blog name!! Welcome (back) to nursing school. You sound like a very logical and determined person. I look forward to more reading...

Intelinurse said...

Prisca,
Hey-thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a footprint. I've read your last few posts and its amazing how mant things we have in common. I will say, however, I am SO jelous about your scrub colors. Ours are cookie monster blue...I hate them.

We get back to school on Aug 29. I start my ob/gyn rotation in clinicals and my psych rotation is in 3rd semester. Anyways, welcome to the medical blogosphere. There are some very cool bloggers here, nurses and docs alike. Have fun discovering them. I out my favs on my blog roll. I would highly recommend all of them.

PS check out my post re the math tests (http://intelinurse2b.blogspot.com/2006/08/math-sucks-jimmy-buffet-says-so.html)...you may be able to relate...lol
keep blogging-your good at it!

Nursapalooza said...

scary story! I'm always thinking that the 20% will be me! Our reasons for failing are the same at my school too. On the other hand, the teachers really want to help you get through and will help you out of class, and there are even tutors... so we'll see. I hope I make it! Love the look of your page. Heather (dublin37)

Anonymous said...

scary, ain't it! I always wonder if i'll be "one of those" that fail out???? I hope not. We are in a stressful time, but it's also dang interesting. Love your title, very clever! Heather (dublin)

HypnoKitten said...

Hey Prisca!

I've added you to the blogroll at Mediblogopathy. Feel free to pick up a NurseBlogs logo badge if you like.

Keep your chin up, go wayyyyy back and read some of my first posts when I started blogging. School is pretty much the same for all of us, wherever in the world we are! (it sucks!) ;)