9.02.2009

Super-duper nuts!


No, I haven't run away from N is for nurse! ;)

My life has been so crazy as of late--as you all can tell, I don't have much time for writing and I'm not sure what that means for this blog.

I've moved, started a new job, am homeschooling my kids and my husband is in an intense Master's program which means we aren't seeing each other much. Add to that the craziness of getting acclimated to a new city, having all kinds of new people around, church life...and I am left with little leftover time. We've turned off TV (haven't watched in over a month) and have eliminated other distractions and are just working hard--the blog thing is just way down on my list of priorities. Yet I know once I get into a good routine, I'll continue to write. It's just a season in my life, I suppose.

The new job is so weird. My patients on the whole are completely different in terms of socioeconomics and the psychosocial, the doctors are very, um, unfriendly thus far and my fellow nurses seem great. The hospital is beautiful, and yes, the responsibilities are not as intense. Examples range from the nurses NOT watching their strips with an eagle eye as I do, the docs calling sections WAY before we would have ever called them at the other hospital, the acuity is far less, we don't do as many bedside interventions (read IUPC's, fetal scalps, amnioinfusions, etc), the pt load is about the same, and I am not seeing mag, insulin, and all the med/surg/psyche stuff I am used to.

The women are still in bed and on monitors, the docs clean them up after deliveries (WHA???), c-section recoveries are oddish (we dont stay at the bedside?), and tehre is no "triage" per se.

The other day, I jumped in on another nurses delivery and got a mom skin to skin and breastfeeding right away and the whole floor now thinks I'm some sort of hippie...

I'll be the anal one on the floor it seems--I feel like I've come out of the military. I must say, at the teaching hospital, we were giving FANTASTIC care despite the circumstances. I am so proud of myself for making it through the last couple of years there...

Not much else to say--lots to do. Hope you all are well out there--drop me an email or comment sometime! -P.

8 comments:

Morgan said...

Sounds like they needed you there, then. Maybe you'll start a sensation with the skin to skin contact right away. : )

Anonymous said...

Always glad for the update. :-)

There are worse things than being a hippie! ;-) Think of how much better that is for both mom & baby -- you may even be able to change a few nurses' minds. Start a revolution! :-)

-Kathy

Nursapalooza said...

come by to see YOUR reward at my blog :)

And...hang in there girlie!!

wife.mom.nurse said...

I totally understand that the blog is down on the list...I will be here as you transition and beyond. I love your blog.

Wow, your new job sounds like an adjustment. Quite a culture shock. But overall it sounds good.

Glad to hear your latest!

~Julie

Prisca: said...

thanks ladies! hugs!!!

Prisca: said...

thanks ladies! hugs!!!

Rebekah said...

So glad to hear you are adjusting to your new job.

Prisca: said...

so great to hear form you all!!!