2.06.2008

L&D-YUM.



Am I a freak? Ok, so I am in Mother Baby, and while I dont mind it, the minute I set foot in L&D I get all crazy inside--like I have a crush on the unit or something. Tehe. At the same time, L&D scares the poo-poo out of me.


Yesterday I had THE BEST CLASS!!!!! We spent the whole day going over labor stages, complications (prolapsed cord and precip birth--more on that later) and then we went over to the unit and played with opening tables, taking the bed apart, using the vaccum extractor. I was in heaven. Starting to think I have a problem. I absolutely can NOT wait for my class on EFM and strips next week. Um.

Today is more postpartum class junk. I sound excited, huh? Had a nurse tell me last week that on my unit you either like the moms and babies, just the babies (like in NICU), or just labor and delivery. I think I see pretty clearly where I fit. Ok, ok, I KNOW I need to know it all, but c'mon. M/B is kinda...bla.

And my favorite, favorite parts? Trying to memorize the surgical instruments for a check off and checking the cervix on a plastic model.

I found out yesterday that it is costing my hospital $65,000 to train me which includes payment of my preceptors, classes, materials, my 12 weeks of orientation, etc, etc. Wow.

Later--just got called and because of bad weather, NO CLASS TODAY! WHEEEEEEE!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound so happy and pleased with your job. I am loving my L and D rotation right now.

Crystal said...

HEE HEE, that's exactly how I feel everytime I pick up an EKG strip! Isn't it exciting? :) So glad we found our nitch in nursing! :)

Anonymous said...

Ran across your blog a few weeks ago and I'm coming out of lurkdom now. I am 35 and have made the decision to go back to school to graduate this go-around and the thought of nursing makes me so excited, just like what you're talking about! I'm thinking I'd love L&D or NICU so I just love reading your stuff!

Prisca: said...

HI Sherry--glad you came out of lurkdome!

Best wishes in school...

:)