Lets see, currently a fellow classmate got called in for having an *inappropriate* myspace page, so I guess the staff is checking the web for everyone's blogs, myspaces, etc. Kind of scary to the point that I am thinking of locking my page until after graduation. If I do, post your emails and I will add you as a member so you can still read...
Also, a student was accused of "cheating" because she memorized pathos (this was for a check off) off a supposed set of notes circulating around. She says she didn't use the notes and used the text instead--but my thought is, HEY, she knows the patho. We were all encouraged to share notes in practice--does it matter which resources she used? It is all out of our med/surg text anyway. And the thing is, 95% of the class has "passed down" notes from other students and such that are used to adjunct the text, current class notes, etc. If the goal is knowing the material, and that is being accomplished, what's the deal? The classmate was still passed but is extremely upset at being accussed.
Honestly, I am so tired of about 75% of the staff/admin. in my program. They are rude, unprofessional, unorganized and I have no repsect for them. I personally have never been treated so badly by a set of instructors--and I have witnessed these people treating my classmates worse that I! And I have found that this is the case in other nursing school across the nation (just read the allnurses student message boards)--somewhat abusive and disrespectful behavior by nursing school administrators/teaching/clinical instructors is not uncommon. And the thing is, what recourse do we have? I have seen people stand up for themselves only to be kicked out and told not to return. I have purposely flown under the radar but can honestly say I daily wait for the ax to fall on me. I just know they will come up with "something" to yell at me for--am I nuts?
Of course, then we students get into the "real world" of nursing and have to deal with abuse from docs, other nurses and the administrations of whatever facility we work at (I know you guys have seen this happen out there in clinicals and I always had my CI standing up for me, but I cant take my CI's with me into my new job). If anything, it teaches us to stand up for ourselves to an extent, but ultimately, it seems that nurses either lose their jobs or their self respect because of such poor working conditions. It is kind of disheartening.
I am not trying to be negative--and maybe this is my senioritis talking--but I am already fed up walking out the door--so who's to say I will last very long in this industry if I dont develop some VERY thick skin and am, pardon the expression, balsy enough to stand up for myself. Will I always be in fear of the big wigs? Is that what school has taught me? Or maybe I have an authority issue. I dont even know how to feel about all of this.
So yeah, I am thinking of removing my blog out of fear. *sigh*
11.21.2007
the new stink...
Posted by Prisca: at 10:11 AM
Labels: Nursing School (general)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment