10.19.2007

Time for a longer post...

I have a whole weekend of "almost" no school work. Yes, I have a quiz to study for and some reading to do, but ultimately I get to have some rest and family time. Oh, and I am going to cook and clean and do laundry! Who ever thought I would want to do those things so badly?

Yesterday was "write up day" at school. Lots of people were walking around with probabtion sheets from the instructors--either their grades are below 80% or they have missed a clinical day or they are not "up to par." So, lots of unhappy faces and profanity going on. Managed to stay out of that--my grades are sitting at high B's and I am getting everything accomplished that needs doing. Honestly, I have great support at home and God is good. I couldn't do this by myself!

Clinical was shortened this week and we only had one day. I had my liver abscess patient and a new MVA (car accident) patient. Every day I care for patients I run around feeling like I am forgetting something. I constantly check the MAR, Kardex and chart. It is that whole confidence thing. I just wont be confident for a long time--that's the nature of the beast. The enormity of what I clearly don't know has seeped into my dreams and I have nightmares now about missing meds or doing something stupid to my patient. (One dream had me tell my non-weight bearing pt to go to the bathroom w/out my help-I just yelled it to them??) This week we move to three patients. Oh crap.

We continue to have a tech mutiny on our hands-big time. At one point in the day, all the techs (3 of them) were sitting at the N. station and the head honcho tech pointed at me--I heard her say, "Yeah, they are all lazy except for that one-she actually works." *gulp*

My tech that went MIA last week was found hiding in the equipment room at one point. The student nurse asked what she was doing and she said, "Hiding from you." So, delegation is not going so well...but I just kept my head low and worked my butt off to get all the vitals, accuchecks and ADL's done on top of the RN stuff I am doing now. It wasn't bad...

Oh my, I am really talking to Docs and PT and RT and Dietary like I know what I am saying. It is so wierd. Because we are in a huge teaching hospital, these people actually listen to me?

For example, my patient needed to get OOB (out of bed) with PT (physical therapy). The previous day the doc had ordered a one time dose of Flexeril before the pt did this to relax her muscles (my pt was pretty vocal and what the floor nurses/techs called a "screamer"). So, PT came around and the pt asked if they could have the Flexeril again. The doc was called and orders were written for it to be giver t.i.d. (3 times/day). But PT was there and wanted to do stuff with her immediately. I stuck up for the lady and said she needed to have her med BEFORE PT. They werent happy about this and told me they didnt have time to fit her in later. I told them we would get her up for lunch if they would just go away. Tehe. They liked that idea. So they went bye-bye probably thinking I was nuts and there was no way I would be able to get this lady up w/out them...

Proved them wrong and when PT came by later and saw my happy patient up and eating lunch, they were all congratulatory towards me and said I was going to be a great nurse. Yeah, so both my patients said the same thing and my RN for the day...so, I am doing ok.


On the Grey's front:

This poor man deserves better...but not Lexi, please. I actually kinda enjoyed last nights episode. No more Izzy and George, I hope. And Ava is coming back which should make things interesting. So, still a fan, here. My vote is for the show to kill Meredith off. muhahahaha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

prisca, good for you!

Re: GA- I hate Meredith too from last night's epi! grrrrr! No please, not Lexie! Have a wonderful weekend!

Cee said...

Hah! I second that vote to kill off Meredith. Congrats on your great work! It's to hear that doctors and others are listening to you, gives me hope that maybe some of those sour faced docs I've been seeing in the hallways could be nice...somewhat....