10.08.2007

Paperwork

I have a love-hate relationship w/ clinical paperwork. Tonight is my 1st night w/ two patients worth and it is pretty extensive. Anyway, I love having the information all organized and knowing what I am doing, but I hate the hours I have spent working on this stuff. At least now it takes about 4-5 hrs as opposed to the 8-9 hrs it used to take me.

Today my CI tracked me down to tell me my patient from last week passed away the day after I cared for her (I was supposed to be reassigned to her tomorow). She was a gastric cancer patient and things went quickly. All I know is she was a very graceful person...I hope I'm as kind and peaceful at my end. Amazing the things you learn from those you care for when they are dying. She is the second CA patient I have had who has passed away shortly after my caring for her. I can see how rewarding, if sad, oncology can be. Say a little prayer for her family if you think of it--I'm not sure they were really ready to say good-bye.

Tomorrow: more cancer (this time hepatic) and an MVA. Bring on the broken bones!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow..that long? I normally finish mine in a couple of hours. I dreaded working on my clinical paperwork too!

I'll have 2 pts in 2 weeks, can't wait :)

Good luck!

Prisca: said...

yup, we do med cards on each med and it has to be specific to the patient (so reusing cards doesnt work), all the labs and rationales for why they are high/low, all testing (CT, MRI, CXR) and rationales, pathophysiology papers on main pathos going on (again specific to patient), a basic flowsheet, two careplans and we have had in the past to do concept mapping but not this semester. do all that times two patients and OUCH!

Caroline said...

hey there! i just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say hi! i'm also a nursing student and a knitter! i'm doing my peds and OB rounds right now and it's definitely something i want to do in my nursing career. just thought i'd stop by and say hi before i continue on with more care plans =) drop me a line sometime!