I never thought I would get a degree in anything--academically, I have always been borderline-disaster. This motivates me more than anything--acually finishing something. (Hopefully, I WILL finish this.)
Basically, I have a GED--it is kind of weird because I completed my HS degree in a strange way. I had to finish two classes (Algebra and Sr. English) and then was awarded a "diploma" for meeting the basic HS grad education requirements in the state I "graduated" from. My brothers used to tease me for "getting a GED"--but basically, that's what I got (although I think a REAL GED is a test you take after you drop out, which is not what I did, but anyway.) My family moved in my senior year and instead of finishing out school with a class I didn't know, I opted for this way out. I never know what to put on my transcipts and applications because I have a high school diploma but not really? Strange.
I went straight into community college, then to a 4 year institution where I continued my mediocre and short lived academic career in psychology. I got all the way to my junior year, then got married...and that was that. I am ashamed to say that my GPA was a beautious 1.9 when I left that part of my education behind. (Yes, friends and family, I was a horride student. But I think you know that already.)
It has been very humbling to go back to school--I will be 35 this year and I guess a late bloomer in some ways--the responsible ways. My parents are well-educated and my extended family, as well--most have at least their bachelors and some, post-graduate degrees. There is a desire in me to live up to this idea I have of myself as a "smart person." I really want to be intelligent. Does a piece of paper prove that? How vain!
When I get my grubby little hands on my associate degree in nursing, I will do so with part pride and part embarrassment. This brings tears to my eyes--I guess I am really hard on myself. But this is honesty.
This post is just to encourage anyone out there who thinks they can't do whatever it is they want to do. It may be really hard and seem impossible, but it isn't. All things are possible. God has been very good to allow me a chance to redeem myself and live my dream. Maybe it is so I can impress someone else out there to do the same...I hope so.
4.24.2007
Ya know...
Posted by Prisca: at 9:44 AM
Labels: Nursing School (general)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Wow, Prisca. You are almost finished. Im coming from a very similar situation. I dont know you but I am proud of you and know how hard it is. Forget the embarrasment just be proud. This stuff is HARD!!!
Post a Comment