(I am link-happy today...)
I am waiting for my test grade from yesterday's COPD exam. One of my silly classmates wrote this on the overhead yesterday during a break from our 3 hour lecture:
"The only difference between Hell and Nursing School is that you know beforehand how horrible Hell will be!"
Tehe. She should have written that one down 1st semester and we all could have run for our lives. No one tells you how hard nursing school is--kind of like childbirth where you know it's going to hurt yet your childbirth educators and care providers use words like "discomfort" and "pressure" instead of "pain" and "agony" when they talk to you about it. Yeah.
Thanks Student Nurse Jack for your comments on the strawberry tongue question--made me laugh. The correct answer had to do with Scarlet Fever, BTW, as it produces a red tongue in most pediatric patients. But the red marker theory is more accurate, IMHO.We started neuro yesterday and I'm not sure if I am going to like it or not. Neuro problems kind of weird me out a little, but they are interesting in a freakish kind of way? I think it's the whole posturing thing...
Have a classmate who saw pediatric brain surgery last week and she said the surgeon dropped a small piece of brain matter on the floor? I asked her, "Does the 5 Second Rule apply in that case?" Honestly the thought of someone's brain tissue on the floor is quite macabre, ya know? She thought the surgery was cool, I think not-so-much.
Today I have to run errands, do laundry and start a paper/project for clinical. We have to teach a journal article to our clinical group and I am teaching on hospital chaplains. I think their role is not fully understood by a lot of new nurses so it should be cool beans. A friend is coming over this afternoon so we can get started on neuro note cards because these next couple of tests in peds and med/surg are going to be hard.
It is Holy Week and I am struggling with mindfulness. All I think about is school--I hope God understands this crazy season in my life. That said, my attitude sure does suck at times, ya know?
4.04.2007
H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.
Posted by Prisca: at 7:53 AM
Labels: Classmates, Nursing School (general)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
That is so true that no one adequately prepares you for nursing school! (I did have one nurse friend tell me the hardest thing she ever did was to back to school to be a nurse, but I thought she was exaggerating.) It's impossible to describe the utter exhaustion, the off-the-charts stress, the neverending volume of information, and the pressure and fear tactics. Maybe that's why no one warns us (because how would they describe it?). Are we all just wimps? Medical students don't seem as stressed out as nursing students. What gives with that...?
Post a Comment