12.20.2006

Break from my break...

Gotta post that I got my clinical schedule in the mail yesterday--tried to get to the mailbox multiple times but was stopped by my phone ringing incessantly. Had a bunch of classmates call and bemoan their clinical placements. There is this one person in our class that everyone tries to avoid in clinicals and unfortunately two of my pals got stuck with this person in their group...ugh. I know their pain because said person was in my OB group and I felt like strangling them on occasion. It's a long story. Anyway...

I have clinicals in Peds (pediatrics, kids) the first 5 weeks on Wens and Thurs from 1500-2100. And I have to go Tues night and pick up my assignment and work 6-8 hrs on it in preparation that same night and have it completed/memorized/etc.

Ugh. I don't know how this will work so I called yesterday to see if the nursing div. could move me into another group that meets on the weekends from 0645 to 1445. Even meeting during the week at those times would be preferable--it is just too hard to get the kids taken care of when I am gone two nights at clinical and one other night at the hospital looking up charts.

The only problem with moving groups is that one of the groups that is open has THE PERSON I am speaking of in it...yeah. And I will do almost anything to stay out of their group. THEY.ARE.THAT.BAD.

My last 5 weeks I am at a nice hospital for Med/surg II and have normal times (0630-1530 on Thurs and Fri). Should be interesting.

Lecture is on Mons from 1100-1300 (Peds) and Tues 1230-1530 (Med-surg II).

Other fun tidbits:
Orientation is on the 17th and 18th for both classes from 9-4
I have another stupid computer orientation on the 24th for the hospital from 8-12
I have to get a skills lab safety thing done before class starts
I have to complete metrology by myself (bunch of self-taught worksheets) and a part of a clinical workbook needs to be finished by orientation
Have 4 chapters to read
Have my first dosage calculation tests (metrology) on Jan 30th. We need a 90% or we get one retake. Failure=dismissal.

Soooooooooooooooo, lots to do. I have all my course books but I need to pick up the optional ones. I used to steer clear of those but have found them to be very useful. Are you guys doing concept mapping? We are and it is relatively new so I need that book. And pediatric dosage calculations are new to me as well. Anyway, here are some of the books I want--these are all optional and look very helpful:






So, if you have a couple hundred bucks to spare...haha.

I guess I post all this stuff for my own benefit but I hope it helps some of you newbies out there who wonder what nursing school entails time-wise.

On the crafting front, I made the cutest/amateur bags out of Martha Stewart mag yesterday...need to get back to my knitting. My hubby's scarf is neglected. Take care out there...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try amazon. You can get that pediatric dosage handbook for $6. Haven't checked the rest.

Wendy, R.N. said...

Straight A's in Pediatric Nursing. Wonderful book. I try to stay away from study guides that are thicker than the actual textbook.

Good luck. I feel your pain, however, pre-assignments are just part of the territory. And would you really want to go in with a kid and be clueless?

W. :)

Crystal said...

I feel your pain. I just wish I knew what was going to happen with our class next semester. SOOOO much is in the air right now. I don't know if I'm doing peds or OB first. UGH!! Have a GREAT break!!!