Not much new to report. Spent my weekend doing exam study prep (typing notes, making note cards and study guides) and am getting ready for 3 exams next week. I also got to see a movie!! Fun, fun, fun...I left the house for something other than school-wow. Today is my doc appointment...wish me well.
My mental health clinical starts on Friday and I am pretty nervous. I am hoping for a good experience but am a bit worried about the client population at the hospital I am attending. Had a classmate tell me she was at clinical there when out of the corner of her eye she saw a blanket coming at her. Next thing she new, it was over her head!
She put her hand out and yelled, "Stop!" and off came the blanket. The patient looked at her in confusion--they wanted to play. Apparently this patient had the IQ of a 5 year old and was very sweet, but was also very tall and weighed about 300 pounds. She told this person, "Don't EVER do that again!" They answered, "I am so sorry" in a very childlike voice. Kinda freaky. My classmate was able to laugh it off...but geez. I hope I know what to do if something like that occurs. Hopefully I will stay cool and collected!
Add that to another student's report of being followed, leared at and grabbed at all day by a sexually obsessed patient and you have the makings of student-nurse-fear.
11.06.2006
Keeping Up
Posted by Prisca: at 8:19 AM
Labels: Mental health, Stories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hated mental health.
We had one patient that became obsessed with my friend Dan, and would keep following him around and staring creepily at him. He came to hide in the nurse's station, and the nurse asker what she was doing. She told ther nurse that she was waiting to go home with Dan, because he said he was taking her home with him. Um, yeah riiiiiiggghhhttt.
Then there was the guy who was schizophrenic with grandiose delusions. He said he was richer than Bill Gates. That the Queen was his baby-momma. That he was waiting for his friends to come pick him up. Nice when the two corrections officer's showed up with shackles.
Have fun.
W.:)
Post a Comment