10.17.2006

The Club


Congrats WENDY on getting it right!The answer was C: A neologism is a word, term, or phrase which has been recently created ("coined") — often to apply to new concepts, or to reshape older terms in newer language form. So, psyche patients that make up new words are using neologism. Wendy won the ultimate prize of my linking her site again. ;)

This morning, my husband rolled over and mumbled thickly, "Whatime ya hafta leave, bbbaaaabbbyy." My eyes snapped open and I bolted out of bed: it was 8:30 and class started in an hour.

In our program you get docked 5 POINTS on exams when you are late for them. So, I got ready in 15 minutes and drove like nuts to school...made it just in time but wonder now if I have road rage? I was saying horrible things on my drive into school today...like some kind of monster-psycho-woman. I wonder what God thinks when He sees me do stuff like that? I bet he is perplexed by me--kind of like, "Oh my, what did I do when I made HER?"

ANYWAY! Took my test and felt really out of it--bad way to start the day. Was sure I did really poorly. We have lots of people borderline grade-wise in MH right now. They are all scared silly.

Normally, here is what happens: After an exam, everyone chats in the hall about:
a.) how sucky they did,
b.) how they have a 60% or whatever in the class,
C.) how they hate MH,
and/or d.) how the instructor CALLED them to say they are failing.

The conversation can be a real downer and not a fun enviornment when you are stressed. There is even some crying now and then.

It is basically like a club meeting of sorts. Oh, wait, do you guys know about THE CLUB?

Let me explain. I usually just stand around after tests looking stupid and I always hope no one asks me what my grades are--'cuz I don't want to tell them. It is really hard to say that you have a decent grade in a class and not have everyone hate you. I KNOW that sounds stupid, but it is true.

After tests, I want to just be nice and sympathetic and a good listener--but the minute I tell my grades, I am out of THE CLUB. Ya know the one--the pity party club. The one club in nursing school that everyone seems to want to be a part of. (All the smiling A-students in the HAPPY CLUB are in interior design or something.)

Yeah, so I was in THE CLUB for most of the day 'cuz I kept my mouth shut about my current grades when asked.

Later...I checked my Mental Health (MH) grade. Um, got an A!?!?! I get higher grades when I am almost late, zoned out, and hypoglycemic? Ok, whatever.

Went into my next exam ready to barf. Won't know about that one until next week, but I can honestly say I really struggled on it. LOTS of application and I just couldn't seem to narrow things down. Plus I erased a lot which IS NOT a good sign.

Was told my instructor takes lots of questions from this book. Might have to get it!

Yeah, I need chocolate and a nap. How are you guys out there handling things? I have a funny story for tomorrow...stay tuned.

Note:I came back and rewrote some of this post...if you are wondering. I had more to say after I thought about the club, AND then got twelve phone calls tonight from THE CLUB members. They called to find out what grade I got on mental health. I tried to change the subject...twelve times. It didn't work. Now I am in my own club--the SHE IS A SMUG A-STUDENT club. You get put in this club when you fess up an A. I am here until I get at LEAST a C. I don't get to pass go or collect two hundred dollars or anything.

3 comments:

hoosier nurse said...

I also am an A student. I usually get, "Yeah, what did you get? 100% again?", that kind of shit. Like I'm going to feel badly because I'm a good student. What kills me, is clinical skills are something brand new we have to learn. We all know how to study. We all did it to get into this program, so why are they laying down on that now? That's my big secret. I actually read the crap.

Nursapalooza said...

I am glad you told me about the club! I wonder if i'm someone to make the "A"'s feel bad??? I hope not. I do tease them a little, but i totally don't snub them. I will work hard at praising them, i'm glad you mentioned it! I have been getting mostly B's with one A, so i kind of got kicked out of the 'C' club, though not too far out since i always remind them of my science pre-req's! (all C's) I would love to be a smug A, but hey i'm really good at the hands on, so i'll just be fine with that. Good luck on your exams! Heather

Alyson said...

Good to know about the club for future reference. Thanks for the comment and it does seem like we have stuff in common. I, too, do better when late, zoned out and hypoglycemic ;)

~Alyson