Got some good advice on Wens.
M. and I were walking out of Panera down the sidewalk to the van where J. was waiting for us. We were in an, um, interesting part of town. It was break time from clinical and we were starving, so we ventured out of the very urban hospital we attend clincals at to find food. Anyway, we got our food, and were minding our own business when a HUGE guy (about 6'5, African-american, 250 pounds) yells, "Hey, are you nursing students?" Guess he noticed our scrubs with the school name embroidered on them??
He starts walking with us to the van. M. starts to run to the van and makes it there way before I do. I am a little anxious but then think to myself that we are in broad daylight, and he does seem rather cheerful...
I say, "Yeah." And I smile in a really tooothy way at him, trying to be sweet. This usually gets me out of a bad situation. He smiles back and shows me his grill.
"My wife had a baby last week. And I just want you to know, we all need you guys. Ya know, we NEED you. So don't EVER drop anyone on their f____ing head, ok? Don't ever do that."
"Um, yes sir, I will try to never, ever do that," I say as I pick up the pace and reach the van, grabbing the door handle.
"Yeah, 'cuz we need good nurses, you are gonna be a nurse? Yeah, we need you, so don't ever do that..."
"Ok, thanks for the advice," I choke out as J. grabs me and physically yanks me into the van. I wave to my new friend and J. puts the car in drive and squeals out of the parking lot.
"Are you ok?" J. asks, eyes wide.
"Sure, that guy was just giving us some good advice." Told J. what he said and she suggested we ask our instructor to add that into lecture as it is very, very good advice, indeed.
9.02.2006
What not to do...
Posted by Prisca: at 3:57 PM
Labels: Classmates, Stories
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
That would have freeked me right about out. People are strange, I guess we are about to get an up close and personal realization of that as nurses.
Post a Comment